Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Review: LITTLE GIRL by Courtney Vigo


A little girl who lost her father and resented her mother; but it all changed when her uncle moved in. “When I was little, he was fatherly. He made my lunches for school and carried me to my bed when I fell asleep in front of the TV. As I developed, it changed. I’d catch him looking at me from the corner of his eye.” (8)

It wasn’t long that she started to like the attention she was getting from men.

“[Police] read the face of a rebellious girl who got caught doing something wrong rather than a child who was being molested by her uncle and forgotten about by her mother.” (13)

Eventually, the fear, anger, and resentment were replaced with infatuation when a high school coach starts taking an interest in Paige.

Story had a slow, steady rhythm with a candid and endearing quality. It’s a distressing tale of a little girl that grew up too fast, a girl damaged beyond repair as she recounts the events of her past to a court-ordered psychiatrist. It was open and honest, and the writing was nonchalant.

Paige definitely had a delusional problem, especially when it came to the crush she developed on her coach. Her abandonment issues projected into a desire she constantly craved, a desire she transferred onto fatherly figures she never had as a child. It’s almost like she was living a double life—she would be a little girl that went to school during the day, but, at night, she’d turn into a sexual toy behind closed doors.

A raw coming-of-age story.

My rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment