Friday, February 3, 2017

Review: HOUSE GUEST by John Paul Allen


Summary: Chastity Bream doesn't dance anymore. She also can't walk, speak or think. She's fed through a tube, turned twice a day and left alone in her bed. That is except for him - the one in her closet, who comes out to tend to her needs…and his.


My thoughts: With just a few sentences of the summary, I knew I just had to check this book out. It absolutely sent chills down my spine when I read the tiny snippet of it.


Man, what a disappointment!


First, it begins with this weird, ambiguous introduction about an invalid (I’m assuming that was this girl, Chastity.) Then it goes off on naming a whole bunch of characters you don’t really get to know; hell, you don’t even know the boy—the one who’s telling this story!


This boy could kind of be like Holden Caulfield from Catcher in the Rye with his cunning and sarcastic dialogue, but he was also kind of creepy. Who goes around sniffing other people’s underwear? Gross!


From afar, he notes the empty marriage between Herb and Angie. He wants her so bad that he’s willing to do anything to free her from the clutches of her imprisonment. For god’s sakes, how old was this boy?


He wants to kill the husband, which had me intrigued. By the time we actually got to the best part, I was left as unfulfilled as that lady in the bad marriage, although the irony in the end was a tad enjoyable. Still, I had more fun reading the summary than the story, which had hardly any meat to it; this should’ve been a novel.


My rating: 2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment