Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Review: HEY, DOORMAN: 21 TRUE TALES OF AN UNCOMMON BOUNCER IN LOS ANGELES by John P. Kildemm

This is a glimpse of what a L.A. night club bouncer sees--it is 21 true tales, to be exact. Each segment is something else in the life of a bouncer. They’re not really stories, but more observations you’d hear from a stand-up comedian.

“What’s important to know is this, when it comes to fights, men in L.A. are like dogs in L.A. Only the little ones start shit.” (8) True dat!

Filled with a wry and witty humor, tales are quick and enjoyable, albeit very risqué at times. I wasn’t too familiar with some of the terms used and, of course, had no idea what they meant (something tells me I wouldn’t want to know.) And, like I said, these are not stories, so the writing is unimpressive.

Like Seinfeld, this is the book about nothing. I didn’t always get the jokes and some of the stories were better off not being heard (seemed unnecessary and really disgusting,) but an okay first effort. 

My rating: 3 stars






No comments:

Post a Comment