Thursday, February 2, 2012

Curb Chek Review

I have read many books in my life, and I can honestly say, without a doubt, that I have never read anything like this before.

Curb Chek by Zach Fortier is a behind-the-scenes look at a cop’s work. It illustrates some of the various cases worked on by Zach Fortier during his tenure as a police officer. Each case read like a story filled with unraveling action and a voice so blunt and gritty yet poignant and endearing—a mark I found particularly favorable.

The details concerning Fortier’s experience added a raw spice that jumps out at the reader; however, I did feel that some of the jargon didn’t quite cater to the everyday knowledge of civilians. It almost seemed like you had to be a cop in order to understand it (and, perhaps, you did.) Needless to say, I glazed over the parts I didn’t fully comprehend, not entirely skipping them, however, as the street language was so hypnotically compelling.

Underneath the heavy camouflage of the former military veteran, lurking behind that shiny badge and bulletproof vest was a true writer hiding in wait. I liked the way he described “the dark side” as “something reptilian and hungry that roils around in all of us, probing for openings and looking for a way out.” (pg. 21)

His literary expression, impressive in its own unique style, proves that a good writer can be found in anyone.

If you like the old TV show, Cops, then you’ll enjoy this book--with all the crazy, naked, un-blurred drama.


For more information, log on to http://www.curbchek.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment