Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Review: TIME TO RETIRE by Jon Foyt

Things are not quite what they seem at Sunset Gardens, an active adult retirement community in California. The directors of the Homeowner’s Association has been handling money in questionable ways, there’s secret meetings occurring at The Silent Front, a former speakeasy, and an influential resident recently committed suicide. Reporter Willy Herbst, approaching retirement, is curious about what’s going on in the neighboring community “over the hill.” He and his eager intern, Sally Saginaw, team up to investigate. Their discoveries are surprising…




My thoughts: What do you do when you retire? Many think that old people just have way too much time on their hands, which is really what retirement is all about—finally getting to do what you want to do. For me, I’d spend all my time reading, writing, and traveling. However, Willy Herbst just can’t shake off his reporter’s instincts. Something is going on at Sunset Gardens, and Willy is determined to find out what.

As we dive into the story, the author presents some background and historical information on the scenes and characters. It acutely describes retirement living.

I was intrigued by the mysterious conspiracies of the retirement community and was looking forward to the unveiling, but my efforts were waned by the slow pace of the plot. For the most part, the writing was satisfactory and contained that small dose of “old timer” humor; however, it was not enough to hold my interest.

My rating: 2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment