Monday, December 3, 2018

Review: TIMEFLIES: PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM by M.C. Goldrick


The second installment in the TIMEFLIES series is from the perspective of the best friend, Sam. Since time-traveling as flies was triggered by a question, this story begins with seeking the answer to: How did our maternal ancestors come to live in a country called Canada?

So the kids―as flies― travel more than 150 years.

There were definitely more tid-bits related to bugs, such as bees and ants (i.e. loyalty to the queen and what they do,) which wasn't particularly interesting. I mean, seriously ,this was a lesson on bugs―any and all bugs. I guess this particular story felt more detached because it was mainly a historical overview of settlers on a new country. The previous TIMEFLIES book, at least, had an emotional inquiry to how the parents named their daughter. Couldn't we have come up with another question? Like, why is my brother afraid of water? Or maybe ask something about the future? What will I be when I grow up? You know, something along those lines that would connect readers to the characters more.

Again, the scientific trivia might spark an interest to young readers, however, I wasn't too keen on the fiction aspect of it. There was a lag to it and I wasn't too invested in the overall adventure.

My rating: 2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment