Friday, May 5, 2017

Review: ODDS N' ENDS by Roy L. Cover

This is a collection of short stories all centered on a man, whom I'm assuming is the author, making this book some type of memoir.

The first one was about guns and hunting, two subjects I didn't really take to. The second one was on a funeral honoring a deceased Fred with wacky characters and a lot of drinking. The story about the plumber read like a how-to guide, which seemed strange to me. Why would I need a lesson on plumbers?

Writing was pretty good, but the stories didn't grab me as much as I hoped. Sometimes I wondered if there was even a point in it. I'm guessing these were probably tales of life antics, bizarre and rare occurrences--basically, "odds n' ends." The thing was these so-called "odds n' ends" weren't even that interesting to begin with. They weren't even funny really. Yes, some were quirky and offbeat, but they weren't enough to sustain my interest.

 

My rating: 2.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment