Friday, February 17, 2017

Review: GROWTH AND CHANGE ARE HIGHLY OVERRATED by Tom Starita

"I’m convinced time is nothing more than an endless circle, repeating the same events over and over and over again. The names may change, the circumstances may be different, but ultimately we all end up back at the same starting point." (4)

In this book, Lucas James recounts events after his breakup with his "Apple Jack."

"One of the problems Jackie had with me was steady employment, or lack thereof. I would try to tell her I was an artist and you couldn’t imprison an artist inside the mortal cage of the nine-to-five, to which she would laugh and ask me where were my artistic endeavors?" (14)

Soon, he comes to the conclusion that, in order to have food and a roof over your head, he was going to have to get a job, and that's when he starts working for "That Store."

"My attitude has always been focused on the two “ances”: avoidance and ignorance."

Character tells the story in a refreshingly candid way, although sometimes he veers the subject, going off tangent with his random "squirrel" moments. Sometimes I found myself wishing he'd get to the point already. You could say he's bit neurotic, but he also carried a witty banter at times. "You can never call Lucas James a liar because he doesn't know the truth." (13)

Although he wasn't the brightest person in the world, Lucas' mindless ranting were that of an average Joe, which made him relatable. And, when you think about it, some of what he said made a little sense.

I liked how the story revealed the true reality of working in a frank, indelible way, although, at times, I found the dialogue to be daunting and skeptical.

When the character asked, "Are you picking up what I'm putting down?," all I could say was, "Not really."

Although this book was not entirely terrible, it wasn't that great either.


My rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment