Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Review: THE 5 by Richard Freeland

It all begins with a little girl running through the dark, dank woods, being chased by a ruthless hunter. Scary part was that she knew him.

When 12-year old Ben first arrived at his grandparent’s house along Route 5, he thought it would just be for the summer. For Ben, nothing was creepier than this house, which was full of antiquated knick-knacks from world wars and archeological sites. Not to mention the creepiest part of all was that his grandpa checked his mouth every chance he got (he was a dentist, after all.) Of course, all this fueled Ben’s fervent and rampant imagination, propelling him to write his stories.

Book started off well with a riveting prologue, but then it slowed considerably, hindering the plot. I guess I expected the same energetic suspense I felt in the prologue. It just felt like I was waiting for something to happen—something creepy or shocking or whatever.

A few areas lagged here and there, but, ultimately, this was a well-written piece of work. My biggest downfall was the overall tedium of it all. Like I said, I felt like I was mostly waiting.


My rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment