Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Review: THE QUIET ONES by Betsy Reavley

“The speed at which the flames lick up the walls smotherin’ everythin’ is the loveliest thing I’ve ever seen. I can’t take my eyes off the fire.So many colours. Whoever knew destruction could be so beautiful? I slip my hand into my black nylon jacket pocket and fumble with the box of matches. An erection stirs. The noise the match made when I struck it was hypnotic. The way it burst into life. Somethin’ Born out of nothin’. Like me.” (4)

Written in 1st person perspective, The Quiet Ones begins with a writer, a “dinosaur” that still can’t come to terms with the Kindle. At first, you really don’t know who’s talking. It begins with the POV of a pyromaniac (male) and goes on to the view of a writer (female.) Who is Charlie? Yes, he’s the writer’s husband, but does he end up being the pyromaniac? Wouldn’t that be something, huh?

It starts off reading more like a summary, a list of points and actions being taken place; then it graduates into the realm of literary fiction—quite ambiguous literary fiction. You can tell the author wants us to fill in the blanks. And rather than chapters, the story is divided into dates, which basically dictates a diary entry for the day.

The writing was generally enjoyable and well-versed. Obviously the day-to-day life of a writer trying to create a story was relatable to me. The writer is a British lady with an eloquent and witty demeanor, and as you read on, you get to know her better. The twisted thing is that there is also a sick murderer, one whose thoughts we also hear in gruesome detail. Where does he tie into all of this? Will he shatter the life of this peaceful writer? Will he go after her, too? But, more importantly, who are the Quiet Ones?

This book definitely had more questions than answers. So it’s a mystery—an oddly compelling mystery that’ll keep you reading. Readers will be surprised by what they discover. Trust me, I certainly didn’t see it coming.


My rating: 3.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment