Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Review: OVER YOU by Christine Kersey


I think I remember reading He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not, which may have ended up in my DNF pile. But this one was a slight improvement.

Jessica just ended a relationship with Alex, who was recently caught cheating. A visit with her aunt brings more than an opportunity to mend her broken heart--it brings back an old flame that left her once. But she refuses to let Kyle break her heart again. How could he just call off an engagement without explanation? I mean, how could Kyle not even apologize for walking out on her? Then again, would an apology even cut it?

Things get more confusing when Kyle has to finish a remodel to her aunt's house. During that time, memories flood Jessica's mind, re-igniting the burning resentment and fiery passion. What's worse is that he's throwing poop in her face by walking around with his new blonde girlfriend.

Despite it all, Jessica still wants Kyle, but she constantly obsesses over him not wanting her. Why doesn't he want me? What's wrong with me? Why didn't he spend all this time pining over me and living a pathetic and lonely life? Jessica so wanted to be with Kyle and, even though she was being annoying about it, a small part of me was rooting for her.

They call this a romantic suspense. The mystery lies in the 50-year old letters Jessica finds--one I found redundant and superfluous. Why would she go through all this trouble to find the ill-conceived child from 50 years ago?

Story gets a little more compelling toward the end when it seems that someone would rather keep old secrets buried.

This simple and easy-to-follow story started off slow but then gradually accelerated to a gripping and mysterious end. I might actually check out the sequel, Second Chances.

My rating: 3.5 stars






No comments:

Post a Comment