Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Review: OCTOBER 32 by Larry Rodness


WELCOME TO ELORA, where Halloween is a serious business.

The Fall Halloween Festival is “a joyous event celebrated with costumes and music and the sweet smell of baked goods designed to super-charge the youngsters and play havoc with insulin levels of the elderly.” (16) There is also a myth, which has a common theme of having a “stranger who upsets the status quo and changes the lives of everyone forever.” (19)

Although the concept of this strange Halloween fest was alluring, the story was slow to capture my interest.

It seems our traveling insurance salesman has stumbled on a town of wacky country folk, which is undoubtedly the focal point in the story. It’s funny how the character made a reference to Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds because that’s exactly what I was thinking during this book. The thing was though, as I was reading through endless scenery and tedious dialogue, I kept wondering one thing: When were the freaking birds going to attack?

I don’t know. This seemed like an interesting story with a nice cover design, but it wasn’t quite what I was expecting.


My rating: 2.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment