Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Review: L.A. LATE AT NIGHT by Paul D. Marks (short stories)

Welcome to Los Angeles. The city that sleeps with one eye open. Enjoy the hot Santa Ana breeze while you sip your tequila. Take a stroll down Sunset Boulevard. Dip your toes in Echo Park lake. Walk down Raymond Chandler’s mean streets. Meet your new neighbors: A rising star defense attorney with self doubts. A dinosaur LAPD detective resistant to change. A beat cop with anger control issues. A drifter who is easily led astray. And two brothers with extra bad luck. And of course, the city itself. The City of Angels. La-La Land. Los Angeles. A collection of 5 stories from the Mean Streets of Los Angeles by Shamus Award-Winning author Paul D. Marks.





My review: In “L.A. at Night,” a defense lawyer questions if she freed a killer.

The stories were okay. They tended to lag on sometimes and a lot of the police jargon was a bore. I could tell they were written as a script by the little inserts (“CUT” & “EXT. SHOT”). I could just see the scene playing out in front of me. I felt like I was watching Law and Order.

It was true: Nowadays you did need a gun to go the grocery store in L.A.

My rating: 2.5 stars
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment