Thursday, February 11, 2016

Review: MILLICENT MIN, GIRL GENIUS by Lisa Yee

Millicent is an 11-year old genius! Unfortunately, she’s also a dork (signing a yearbook in Latin?)

Of course, being a genius also means having no friends. She’s also a very naïve and gullible girl because people use her for her brains but she doesn’t figure it out soon enough. When she meets Emily, Millicent concludes that this is her shot to get a real friend…if she can hide her brilliant smarts. This follows the mantra: To gain another, you must lose yourself.

“Yet in Emily’s eyes I was a normal girl. And normal girls don’t talk about those sort of things. Normal girls talk about…well, just what do they talk about? I’m going to have to research that.” (71) She’s so adorable!

 
“I love blank pages, they hold so much promise.” (55) I loved that she loved to learn and read (just like ME!) And, like me, she overthinks and overanalyzes, and she’s not into boys or childish antics.

“I wish I could walk into Bob’s Hardware Store and buy a shut off valve for my brain. At bedtime, my mind races. Thoughts pour out and dance around. Numbers add up and divide. Lists begin and never end. Songs without names taunt me. If my head can only be as empty as [the boys], I would be able to slip into the delicious, deep sleep that eludes me.” (190)

“What my parents kept failing to understand was how happy I was when I was alone with my books. There was no pressure to perform or be cute, and books never disappoint—unless, of course, you’ve chosen a bad one. But then, you can always put it down and pick up another one without any repercussions.” (98)

“I hate shopping. To me, malls are monolithic icons of mass consumption and capitalism.” (29) Totally agree! Absolutely smart! Love her!

“I didn’t know what to say. Was I supposed to congratulate her or tell her I was sorry? I don’t suppose there’s a Hallmark card for this sort of thing. I mean, what would it read? ‘A standing ovation for your first ovulation!” (133) Hilarious!

“Last night, Emily and I had a huge argument over the definition of ‘attractive.’ She seems to think it has a lot to do with good hair, sparkling eyes, and the ability to make a person melt. Me, I believe that it encompasses the ability to communicate (the written word, as well as spoken), high intelligence, and a firm grasp of current events.” (107)

“True, I have led a somewhat solitary life and have on rare occasion wondered what it would be like to be popular. But it is not as if I sat alone in my room all day brooding. My life was so full with my studies and endless projects that there really wasn’t time for friendships. And if there wasn’t time for friendships, then wouldn’t it follow that there wasn’t time for loneliness?” (120)

Witty, funny, and smart!

My rating: 5 stars
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment