Thursday, December 3, 2015

Review: GLOW-HEAD TELLS ALL by Lee Wilson


The subtitle indicates that these are "tall tales of a typical Maine family," and that is exactly what you get in these stories all narrated by Glow-Head, a perceptive 7-year old.

In "Taters, a Tot, and a Woodchuck," the kid recalls the time his father started a garden.

At the beginning of "It's Beginning to Smell a lot like Christmas," you can see why the kid has a deep fondness for Maine during the holiday season.

Stories were plain and average, but flowered with expressive detail--detail that shed light on an ordinary and seemingly-forgettable town. Of course, I didn't find all the stories particularly interesting. In fact, some were downright monotonous. Yet I couldn't help but appreciate the colorful writing style, like when the "pride and joy garden had come under siege from a stealth adversary." (25) In this example, I could almost see a fumbling Al Bundy trying to get rid of that rascally, furry bandit.

Overall, there were certain parts that I liked and parts that I glazed over. I didn't really enjoy these stories as much as I thought, but I did enjoy the effort behind the stories.

My rating: 2.5 stars
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment