Monday, April 8, 2019

Review: MANHATTAN CINDERELLA by Kate O’Keefe



“ONCE UPON A TIME IN Manhattan, I lived in a huge mansion with my hideous stepmother and her two frightful daughters.” (7) Yep, it’s a Cinderella story.



“It’s hard to believe that Sylvia Tremaine gets to a term that includes the word “mother.” She is nothing like our mother. She’s like the total opposite. She’s the anti-mom.” (5)



Gabriella , a 22-year old college dropout,  whose “sticky trust fund situation” left her with no other choice but to live at home with her wicked stepmother. The story follows the Cinderella tale to a T with having to do the household chores and putting up with the (verbal) abuse. To me, this felt a little artificial, not to mention superficial. Yes, there was a refreshing wit and an endearing quality, especially when dealing with abandonment issues from the father and a mother that died. But I couldn’t quite get into this rehash of the classic fairy tale, which is an okay story for me. I mean, I’ve read other Cinderella stories before, so I wanted to give this little number with the Manhattan spin a shot. But it just wasn’t the greatest.



My rating: 2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment