Friday, May 5, 2017

Review: THE GRUMPFACE by B.C.R. Fegan

"In a land far away, in a time long ago, was the Village of Hay near the Forrest of Ho."  I had to giggle at this first line.

The story of Grumpface had sort of a "Beauty and the Beast" theme. A man, who only seeks to win the heart of a beauty, must complete a list of challenges when he is captured by Grumpface. I guess the tasks would only represented the man's worthiness of the fair maiden. The illustrations were simple and vibrant. I especially liked the volcano rendering and I enjoyed the comical undertone throughout. But I thought there were a few holes in the story line. It just had some things that didn't quite make sense, and I also didn't take to the language too well. Were kids even going to understand that? Rhyming was cute, even though some of the lines were a bit too cheesy for my likes.

Overall, I thought this was a cute children's story.

 

My rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment