Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Review: THE GINGERBREAK COLLECTION by Victor A. Davis

“My medium of choice is the short story. I don’t know why they appeal to me so, but I suspect part of the reason is their bare-boned simplicity, much like a fairy tale. I consider it my job, as a writer, to lure you into my gingerbread house, my false paradise. I invite you to pick up these little breadcrumbs I’ve dropped, to follow my paths and tumble into my worlds. But make no mistake, I am the witch.” (Davis – Intro)

Judging by the title and the compelling introduction by Mr. Davis, one would expect to see a parallel to Hansel and Gretel or Little Red Riding Hood. Of course, I wasn’t expecting an exact recap, but surely there would have to have been lost children, a wicked woman, or a big, bad wolf. Like the fairy tales, I anticipated something sinister and playful. But these stories weren’t like that. They were quite common, full of banality and predictability. Plus, there didn’t seem to be a unified theme.

Writing was okay, but the stories were unimpressive. I actually enjoyed the introduction more than the whole collection.


My rating: 2.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment