Monday, June 27, 2016

Review: DRAWING IN THE DARK AND OTHER STORIES by Jeremy Baker

This is a collection of literary fiction. Baker’s words are quiet and humble, and appeal to the reader’s senses. Stories are much more historical than contemporary though.  I almost felt like I was in Braveheart. Personally, I’m not really that into historical fiction.

The writing was decent and although I didn’t find most of the stories appealing, there were a few that were worth mentioning. For instance, “Becoming the Storm” tells the story of a school janitor with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) who witnesses a child bully get hit by lightning. Could it have anything to do with that strange, little girl they were picking on? And could the janitor have known that it was coming?

One thing that had me wondering was how these tales fit together. What was the common theme? I mean, we had some Amazonian hunter lost in the woods; there was one story compiled in a single letter; and there was another having to do with an extra-terrestrial. What’s the connection? Typically shorts stories are somehow connected by a unifying object, place, or theme, even if they are eclectic.

Overall, these were okay.


My rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment