Thursday, April 21, 2016

Review: DOING GERMANY: Book 2 by Agnieszka Paletta


After reading and reviewing Doing Germany (Book 1,) I was again given the opportunity to rate another one of Paletta’s work, the sequel.

My first commentary is on the title. Why use the same name for both books? I mean, I understand that Book 2 is the sequel, but wouldn’t it have been better to come up with a name for it, even something like Doing Germany Again or Still Doing Germany? I don’t know, having the same name for both is okay, I guess. I just would’ve done it a little different. That was my first impression anyway.

Like the summary states, this book picks up right where the first one left off. The girl’s still in Germany, except now she’s adding a baby and a new house to the mix.

Again, the reader is given the brief highlights to her life in Germany. We also have the return of “M” (I still think this guy should have a name.) Main character still babbles on with her Polish-Canadian-Italian-German point of view, which can be daunting. She continues making comparisons between life in Germany and life everywhere else. It almost reads like a How-to book.

Following the same format as the last, this is a diary/memoir of a young foreign mom. Although she still had that biting wit, I, personally, related to and liked the first book better mainly because I know nothing about children and this book deviated completely to the life of a mom.

Again, okay, but not too impressive.

 

 

My rating: 2.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment