Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Review: JAYNE DOE by Jamie Brook Thompson

Jayne is my sister. Johnny is her boyfriend. A week ago he murdered me. Today he put Jayne in the hospital. Tomorrow he's going to die. I'll make sure of that.


My thoughts: "Girls should never be alone in cars with boys. Bad things happen." (5) Unfortunately, young Jill had to find out the hard way.

The writing style is concise and full of mystery; it's not very impressive but it compells you to want to read more. As Jill lingers between life and death, she is overwhelmed with confusion while witnessesing the pain and sadness of her loved ones. What I liked best was that even though her tale is tragic, she tells it with a dose of wry humor.

It seems that her soul is still connected to her body by the way she randomly appears by it. Everything is seen through the eyes of this ghost. In fact, the whole story plays out as a series of pop-ins from scene to scene. The character just kept on jumping all over the place that it was hard to keep up.

Things get even more confusing when Jill tries to touch people--it seems she can possess the living, allowing her to see into the memories and thoughts. It was strange and puzzling. I didn't know what was going on sometimes. One minute, she's in somebody's memory, and the next, she's in her own heaven. Weird.

This wasn't quite what I was expecting, but it was an okay read. It was basically a story of a ghost watching over the monotony of the living A.K.A. her family while trying to bring her killer to justice. It wasn't as exciting as I thought it was going to be.


My rating: 3 stars
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment