Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Review: MUDDLIN' THROUGH by Steven M. Moore (Book 1)

Mary Jo Melendez is a regular G.I. Jane with all her army and navy experience. Unfortunately, war veterans don't get discounts on rentals and a deep knowledge of special armed forces and military co-ops don't do much on a résumé.

An expert at martial arts (well, of course, she would have to be,) Mary does not succumb to the chauvinistic  customs society (particularly men) imposes. I liked that about her.

A chance to get back into the war zone arrives when Mary's sister gets kidnapped by foreign agents. Well, that just provokes her to go all "Mission Impossible" until she gets framed and sent to prison.

The story took a while to drum up my interest, mostly because of the tedium involving politics, armed forces, and foreign affairs. I kept on reading, hoping it would get better, but it just got more complex. I applaud the use of a strong female protagonist for this so-called "action-packed thriller," but it just didn't really do it for me. Like the title, I was practically "muddlin through" this book.

My rating: 2.5 stars




No comments:

Post a Comment