Sunday, April 17, 2011

Life is too short

Life is too short to waste on a book that is not doing it for you.

After a brief hiatus from reading, I decided to get right back on the horse. Problem was that I had about 30 unread novels in my TBR bag and didn't have a clue on which one to read. So I pretty much wanted to pull a Lucy Ricardo by putting them all on a Lazy Susan, spinning it around, and agreeing to pay (I mean read) which ever one stayed on the thing. That doesn't really work so well when they ALL stay on. So I just closed my eyes, shoved my hand in the bag, and pulled one out. And the winner was......a book given to me by another blogger after she had posted a 5-star review on her site. I was supposed to read this book and agree to post something about it. I just haven't gotten around to it....until now that is.


The first question that came to mind when I started reading this was: Why is it called Sheetrock Angel? Was this a murder mystery or a psychological drama? I couldn't really tell from the back summary. It starts off with a woman named Audrey, and she is looking for a house to settle from a divorce to her unfaithful husband. She rides around in the realtor's car just looking at each house--just looking and looking and looking, until, eventually, she buys a dilapidated, old cottage on the spot. So it started off boring right from the beginning.


As Audrey begins the remodel of her new home, she mourns the life she had with her husband and fears the loneliness that's destined to come. She goes on a journey of self-pity, which was kind of annoying. At some point, I think I said, "Get over it, lady! Move on!" I just couldn't sympathize.


I skipped some parts here and there because they just weren't interesting. Why waste the time? Life was just too short. And, in lieu of wasting more time, I must also confess that I never finished Sheetrock Angel. I just couldn't get into it, I'm sorry. Honestly, I don't know why I even bothered with this. When I read the review, I thought it was called Sherlock Angel (guess I should've had my glasses on for that one, huh?) With a title like that, I assumed it would be about a smart, savvy detective solving a bewildering murder using unorthodox skills. But no, Sheetrock Angel was nothing like this. I should've know that judging from the cover. It was nothing but a photograph of a beach cottage in front of a sun set--boring! I didn't want to judge a book by its cover, so I gave the back summary a shot, but it was just as boring (and confusing.) In summation, I wouldn't have bought this book if I saw it in a store. Hell, I wouldn't even have picked it up. Quite frankly, I can't even remember why I agreed to review this book. It's weird. It's like not being able to remember the night before, like I had been drinking and was now battling a wicked hang over. Well, thank god I didn't do anything I was going to regret......like actually finish this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment