Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Shallow Moment

My shallow moment: Like most readers, I choose books that have an interesting plot. If the back cover makes me hum in anyway, then I buy it.

But, occasionally, I find myself attracted to other parts of the book, like the cover or even the title. Yep, I did it. My latest read was chosen based on the cover AND the title.

Devil Talk by Daniel Olivas

I mean, look at it! Need I say more?

The book features over 20 chicano stories.

Some were ironic like Don de la Cruz and the Devil of Malibu and Devil Talk, which told dark tales of wanting something but instead getting something else in return.

The narration in Ramona was compelling and left me wanting to hear more.

But I'd have to say that I liked the dialogue in Muy Loca Girl the best.

Now, I admit that I got this book without even glancing at the back cover. I wasn't sure if I was even going to like it, I just took a chance. But I'm sort've glad I did. I mean, if I hadn't, I wouldn't have discovered these great stories.

My shallow moment gave me a lucky break on this one, and it added another gift to my vast collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment