Sunday, May 16, 2010

A break from reading

Hi, all

I know this blog features what books I'm reading and which author is in the spotlight. Right now, "Mexican Enough" by Stephanie Elizondo is on my book shelf with a book mark between the pages. I am on like chapter 4 or something.

Although this memoir is an enlightenment to politics and life in the Mexican border, I'm having grave difficulty getting into the plot (or, in this case, the point of it all.) So, for this posting, I have decided to take a break from reading to tell you about a dream I had last night. It was really more of a nightmare since I was dreaming about work. Ugh!

The day at work started off with every worker's basic nightmare: I was replaced! My boss decided to hire this snobby, pretentious blonde, who constantly boasted about what a fast typer she was (like that's what got her hired in the first place.) Anyway, she was your typical "secretary"-the kind you don't want to deal with in your life because they make you feel unimportant and inferior. So, my boss gives her my desk, my computer, and my phone, and he demotes me to a student-style desk with a bunch of papers torn out from the yellow pages scattered all over the place. And I'm sitting right across from blondie. So I tried not to let it bother me (even though it was bothering me that I was replaced by her) and I tried doing my job. But she just kept saying, "Oh, I can type this up really fast. I'm a super fast typer." Like this is suppose to impress me? Who cares? But she was just being so annoying.

And just when I thought things couldn't get worse. BAM! Another assistant shows up on the premises. This one was a Mexican girl (like me) except she couldn't speak a word of English and had no idea what to do on the job. God, why did she even get hired?

So I was stuck working between these two broads. I turn around, and blondie is blow-drying her hair. I turn back to the Mexican girl, and I discovered that she let in 10 sales people in to talk to my boss (my boss has always told me to tell salespeople that he was in a meeting.) The office was turning into chaos! So I take control: I get rid of most of the sales people, I sit Mexican girl down, and tell Blondie to unplug that damn dryer 'cause, frankly, it was distracting. Of course, the blonde bitch didn't give a rat's ass about it and kept on blow-drying. So then I went back to "work."

Funny thing was that even though I was the only one doing any actual work (blondie was busy getting a perm and Mexican gal was busy staring at a computer screen with a dumb look on her face) my boss was actually yelling at me for not doing my job. Okay, getting yelled at for not doing any work? Suddenly, I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone.

It was at that moment that I felt unappreciated, and I wondered what it was that kept me here, putting up with all this crap. I mean, clearly, my boss had found my replacements (blondie and Mexican). Then what the hell was I doing here? They don't need me here. I should just quit.

Do you think this dream was a sign? I wondered.

No comments:

Post a Comment